Saturday, February 28, 2015

Declaring My Love



On February 14, Valentine's Day, I moved in here at New Camaldoli Hermitage.  Just before Vespers, at 5:45 p.m. that day, I received the smock I wear as a postulant.  It is much like a monk's habit, except it ends at my hips, whereas a monk's habit goes down a little below his ankles.
The monks and I gathered in a circle.  The prior sprinkled first the smock, and then me, with holy water.  He welcomed me into the community.  Then I went around the circle and embraced each of the monks.  Thus I was inducted into the community here at the hermitage.  
On that day, I began formally living this monastic lifestyle, prominently focusing on my relationship with God.  On Valentine's Day, I declared my love for the Lord our God.  

No comments:

Post a Comment