Saturday, March 21, 2015

Surprise!

This morning here at the hermitage we gathered in the church for Vigils, the first instance of each day of the Liturgy of the Hours.  The bell at the top of the church tower rings at 5:15 a.m., giving the monks, and anyone who would like to join them, enough time to get ready and make their way down to the church.  At 5:30 a.m. we stand and recite selected Psalms and listen to a Scripture passage and hear another spiritual reading.  Since today is the feast day of St. Benedict, on which we especially remember and honor him, this morning we heard a reading about how St. Benedict can be a fine example for us in how he lived his life. 

At the end of Vigils, the monks turn toward the altar, then process toward the altar, two by two.  Each pair bows together toward the altar, then walks one behind another toward the back of the church.  Since I sit with the monks, I process out with them.  We make our way toward the back of the church and perhaps put on our ski caps or other clothing, and then go back to the silence of our cells until the bell rings again at 6:55 a.m. for the next instance of the Liturgy of the Hours, that is, Lauds, which is at 7:00 a.m. 

This morning after Vigils as I was about to exit the church, I looked down the hallway and saw someone smile at me.  I thought, "That woman looks like my friend Alyssa."  Then I looked at the next person walking behind her, and I thought, "Wait, that's my friend Laryn!  So that is Alyssa!"  I walked over to them and we hugged each other.

One of them asked if they're allowed to talk to me.  I nodded.  This is generally true.  However, from 9:00 p.m. until just after Lauds the next day, we observe the Grand Silence, a period of more intense silence which is more closely followed than the silence which generally pervades the entire day here.  Hence my nodding rather than speaking.

By this point I had begun to figure that they are here for the yoga retreat which began last night, which continues today, and concludes tomorrow.  In the Camaldolese charism, namely, what makes this religious order different from other ones, are solitude, spiritual community and mission.  We live the third facet of our charism by ministering to others mostly by giving retreats for them.  Mostly at this point these retreats occur on weekends, following a schedule similar to the schedule for this retreat.

Yet since I do my best to observe the Grand Silence, I didn't speak my question to them.  Rather I pointed to them and then to the room where the retreats are given, and then quickly attempted to improvise a yoga pose, which would likely make people laugh if they practice yoga and aren't my friends.  My friends nodded, confirming my suspicion that they are here for the retreat.

I was so happily surprised to see my friends today!  I am looking forward to seeing them in a short while for Mass and later in the weekend.  Many of you who know me also know that I enjoy surprises.  So feel free to stop by the hermitage and surprise me!  Of course, feel free to let me know you're coming.  However, if you decide to make a trip here on the spur of the moment, you might not be able to get in touch with me before you get here.  In any event, it's much more likely than not that I will be here.  For the most part in this monastic lifestyle, we are here at the hermitage on any given day.  And so it is on this day, when I was pleasantly surprised to see my friends here! 

No comments:

Post a Comment