Friday, August 21, 2015

Heaven Right Now

Over the last couple of days I traveled up to the Monterey area and the peninsula in the San Francisco Bay Area with one of the monks from here for a couple of doctor's appointments.  We stayed overnight in the Bay Area.  I got to go back to Casa de Clara, that is, the San Jose Catholic Worker House, where I lived and worked in the latter half of last year.  I so enjoyed spending time with my friends, the Catholic Workers and the guests to whom they minister, there.  That night I visited, one of the women who used to live there as a guest, who since has moved out into her own place, was celebrating one year being clean from drugs and sober from alcohol.  In joyous commemoration of her recovery, we celebrated with a barbeque in the back yard.

Yesterday, on the way back to the hermitage, my traveling companion the monk and I stopped in Carmel for malted milkshakes.  As we sat on a bench outside enjoying our malts, some men we had never met were walking past us.  One of them greeted us.

"Hi, guys."

"Hello," I responded.

"Does it get any better than this?" he asked.

"No, it doesn't," I replied.

"You're right: it doesn't get better than this," he agreed.

"I like his attitude," I later shared with the monk sitting next to me.

"Me too."

We shape our experience.  Heaven can be right now if we want it to be.  

No comments:

Post a Comment